Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Day We Ate Ampalope!!!


Thanks to a good friend of mine (Dana), we had the opportunity to enjoy or first ampalope experience. I say Ampalope, because that is exactly what Caleb calls it. See this last weekend we went over to the Udall's to put their fans up in their new house. Talk about, two fans from HELL!!! You see Dana has twelve foot ceilings in her family room and ten foot ceilings in her bedrooms, and of course leave it to Dana to pick out the most heaviest fans ever made. Not only were the fans heavy, but they weren't the typical fans that you build as you go, NOOOOOO . . . . . Theses fans had to be put all together before you can carry them to the top of the ladder, and hook it to the ceiling. So while Brent and I were trying to put the fans together, and get them installed Dana's husband Mike was playing with the children in the snake room. You heard the right, the SNAKE room. I have the worst fear of snakes, they have always seemed so creepy to me, and the fact that Caleb was not scared at all and touched it and wanted to hold it just freaks me out. Along with playing with Snakes Mike gave Caleb the 411 on hunting dear, bears, and of course Antelope (Ampalope). And . . . . . . . that is how we got the meat, they offered, and Caleb couldn't refuse. So we brought the meat home, and Caleb thought he could eat it raw, but i explained we had to cook it. So I made the Ampalope roast yesterday, and it turned out great. Of course Caleb asked me about every five min. if his ampalope was ready, and it wasn't, so needless to say it was a long day of waiting for Caleb. Finally he got to eat and enjoy, and I don't have to hear him talk about the meat for good long while.

3 comments:

The Regimballe Family said...

ampalope, huh? At first I was a little worried that you couldn't spell. Glad to know that's just Caleb's pronunciation! :-)

Aaron and Amber said...

I am sure Emma would love to come over and pick your weeds. Her going rate for weed pulling is a batch of cookies. I will have to ask when she might be available. The weeds have to be a certain kind though. She can only pull out the easy ones, the ones with little yellow flowers on them. She was just picking more from our neighbors yard this morning.

Antelope, wow! How did that taste, like chicken? I do not think we are that adventurous. Good for you!

Jill Ison said...

Let's not forget some other things you're scared of... lizards, chameleons, dragons, dinosaurs... hahaha you're so funny. It was fun to see you yesterday. Sorry I didn't call later because *get this* I went to bed early! i was soooo tired yesterday.